Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to School


Is this Little Miss Backsides as a child?  Or is this her daughter?  Either way, the butterfly punch for the backside is a constant.

Back to School has special meaning this year... 

This was my last 'First Day of School'.

After 17 years, I didn't get to take anyone to school on the first day - Kiddo drove herself  last week. (I got a new car, so she got my old one)

Kiddo is a SENIOR in HIGH SCHOOL
WHAT?

My little "Boo" is a SENIOR in HIGH SCHOOL?
Can't get my mind around it.  (sniffle)

She ought to be walking to second grade with her little backpack on, carrying a lunch box- not cruisin' into the parking lot after popping into the donut shop for breakfast.

Sure, she'll have a first day of college - but I won't be there to take a photo. (SOB!)  And she sure won't come home and sit down to have a snack and a chat about her day. (more SOBS!)

My nest is full (actually, overflowing with Miss Temporarily Move Back Home's apartment stuff) yet I've got significant twinges of those empty nest feelings...

Oh get a grip Ellen.  You have your punches to play with and the I-Fairy to keep you company.  And a mile long list of requests to work on.  And your house will stay CLEAN and the drains will stay unclogged and you will get to bed early because there will be no more curfews to enforce - you can dream peacefully (pretending that one is in her dorm studying and the other is fast asleep in order to get up early for her fabulous job)  Ignorance is BLISS!

Still....I'm advising you now - invest in tissues before this time next year.  I'm sure you will make a big profit just off me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how cute....jumping for joy to see more in the miss backside series...one of my favorites...please I-fairy get Ellen to come up with some more in this series...

Whimcees said...

Hello!

This little girl is so cute! Wonderfully creative!

Wishing you a good day today! Chin up! :<)

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Cindi M said...

Ellen, Your post and the cute little backside girl brought tears to my eyes. My "little" ones are now a jr in college and just starting to grad school.Love your blog. Thanks!

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Now this is just sweet! And I know just how you feel. Although mine have been out a year or two now. I always took pictures on the first day of school. Then in there senior year, it was the "today is my last first day of band camp" etc. it was a warning of what is to come, but
don't worry, you can always come visit me in Florida. We can have empty nest syndrome together.

hugs,

Anonymous said...

I was trying to think of a card for my grand kids back to school. This is so cute!