Friday, October 30, 2009

Reverse Sooting Skull


This is a card I did for a "darker side" swap earlier this year.  The technique is called Reverse Sooting and I learned it from Lee Conrey.  This is so HALLOWEENY  but I almost forgot to show it to you!

Each time you do it, you will get a slightly different look. (Stamp = From the Crypt)

I taught a class on this for VC Rocks and one of the "students", Shari Dudek made this card for her swap - I like it much better than mine. (Stamp = Beware Pirates)

Isn't this an awesome technique for Halloween?

But it works for a vintage look too.  Almost like an old photograph.  But this set is retired (sad face)




Want to learn how?

Reverse sooting is a very easy technique but not one you will use very often.


It only works well with certain stamp sets. The train from “Happiness is a Journey” is my favorite for this technique but I have also used it with other “vintage” stamps that have lots of SOLID stamp area and lots of light/dark contrast.

Supplies:

Glossy paper, Versamark ink pad, taper candle (and something to light it with), stamp set with solid areas – light/dark contrast, something to protect your work surface from any dripping wax, a Kleenex or paper towel. (I say taper candle because you have to get the flame right up to the paper – if you have an unburned pillar candle that would also work)



How to:

• Cover your work surface, wax will drip if you are using a taper candle.

• Stamp your image on glossy paper with Versamark, not too close to the edge.

• Light candle and hold paper over it, very close to the flame (actually touching the paper) so that soot covers the image.

• Keep the candle slowly moving or you can burn a hole in your paper. If you hold candle too close to the edge of the paper it may catch on fire.

• Once the image is covered in soot, blow out that candle and GENTLY pat/wipe the soot with Kleenex or paper towel. DO NOT RUB HARD. It is possible to rub away all your work if you use pressure. Gently rubbing will remove the soot. You can then use your image on your project. Wiping with your finger it will feel smooth and the soot will not come off but if you keep on rubbing and applying pressure with your paper towel you will ruin your project.

Info:

• I wouldn’t use this for scrapbooking; I don’t think it would be archivally safe.

• Each image will look different due to soot application and how much you rub off. If you aren’t happy with your first try, do it a couple more times – yes, you are using up your glossy paper but if you need this look, go for it again until you like it.

• You can do the technique on whisper white to get a gray look. It doesn’t wipe off as “interestingly” but it is still pretty cool. You can also use it on color cardstock - play around and see what you like.

• I usually add further distressing with the SU distressing tool, tearing, etc.

• I learned the Reverse Sooting technique from Lee Conrey.

2 comments:

Carolyn Sharkas said...

You know, I have yet to try this technique, even after taking your class, I did, didn't I? LOL. Anyway, I just don't have a good
stamp to use for this, guess I will
just have to get one. I do love the look it gives, and I think I got one of Shari's cards, too. Thanks for reminding me of this technique.

Hugs,

Carey said...

I have known about this technique forever or at least since this summer when you taught it. Have I ever done it--no. I am a bad girl. Maybe once the holidays are over (am I having to say that already!!). I love what you have done with it.

Carey
aka Roscoe's mommy