Sunday, May 2, 2010

I'm home!

I haven't gone three days without posting since the blog started - did ya miss me?

It was a great weekend!  Well, the blow out on the way down wasn't so fun...

But before I tell that long story - here is one of the pages I did this weekend - using Rocker Chick

 
Real 'music playing' guitar sculpture in Seattle - from our trip there in '09

Stop reading if you just came for punch stuff
If you want to hear my tale of the tire, read on...

Picture little old fat gray haired me on the shoulder of the Interstate, semis whooshing by at 70 mph, unloading all my scrapping equipment onto the side of the road so I could get to my spare tire.

Picture me huddled as close to the car as possible, loosening lug nuts and jacking up the car.

Picture me so proud of myself as I think I have got this thing conquered!

Picture me with black hands and black knees as I struggle and struggle and cuss and stomp because the tire WILL NOT COME OFF.

Call hubby - out of town - doesn't answer phone.

Call hubby's best friend - doesn't answer phone.

Call a roadside assistance number for hometown (even though I am way down the road) and ask what I could possibly be doing wrong.  She says to kick the tire - top bottom and both sides.  NO PROBLEM - I am plenty frustrated and can kick the dickens out of that tire.  She says "not too hard or the car will come off the jack".  I say "uh oh, I am in trouble".

Kicking does no good - traffic still whizzing by - I'm getting hotter and dirtier with each passing minute - approximately 45 minutes out there so far....

Picture me about to cry but pulling it together as I pull out the phone book I keep in the trunk and look for a wrecker service to come save me.

As I am dialing, my knight in a shiny white pick-up pulls over and I'm saved.

Except

HE can't get the tire off either. 

Fortunately in Texas, knights have tools so he pulls a long pole (not a lance) out of the bed of his truck and uses leverage to "unstick" my tire - puts on the spare and gives me directions to the tire repair in town.  This knight even helps me reload the car and gives me a bottle of water to pour over my grimy hands.

A LONG wait at the tire shop and I am back in business - 3 hours later than I wanted to arrive but there - safe and sound.

Thank goodness for Knights driving White Trucks!

Sending hugs to all those husbands, brothers, dads, boyfriends, and car smart women who have ever stopped to help a stranded old lady!  Please know that she really really really appreciates the help!

10 comments:

RedGem said...

Let me be the first to say, that yes you were definitely missed. I'm was so sorry to hear about your tire problem. When I go on long trips, that the one scenario that I'm always so worried about because I wouldn't know where to start. I'm glad that you got help and are safely back at home. Glad to hear you had fun and love the rocker chick, perfect for the scrapbook page.

Carey said...

Welcome back my dear. Glad you had a guardian angel in a white truck watching out for you. A knight in shining armor is absolutely darling and so is rocker girl. You are so talented and I get a laugh out of your stuff. Thanks

Carey Rogers
aka Roscoe's mommy (yes everyone THAT Roscoe)

Debby said...

Great page Ellen. Your story reminds me of when I was 17 and we won't say how long ago that was! LOL. anyway I had a trucker stop to help me he heard me on the CB radio calling my dad for help. He was HUGE! and I was scared so rolled up the window and told him no thanks my dad is on his way. By huge I don't mean fat but his arms was the size of a bowling ball he had muscle that never ended and it scared me half to death. Dad came and rescued me. I blew a hole in my tired the size of a large watermelon.
Anyway, glad your knight showed up and saved the day.
Angel hugs
Debby

Patricia Gessner said...

Gee, you had quite an adventure. Sure glad it turned out as well as it did. Happy you're back, too.

Anonymous said...

hi
i missssssssssss youuuuuuuuu a lot.
well thanks GOD EVERYTHING HAVE A GOOD FINISH, AND LET ME TELL YOU
DONT FORGET GOD IS ALWAYS THERE FOR
YOU
GOD BLESS YOU
BIG HUG
MARIA

Whimcees said...

Hi Ellen!

I am happy to see you back posting! Missed you! You had quite the experience, bless the man who stopped to help you! Hope that you had a wonderful time!

Barbara Diane

Migdalia said...

Hi Ellen! Glad to see you posting again and very glad to see you are safe and sound and had a great time, by the look of your page! You are brave, I don't think I would have gotten out the car, let alone, try to change a tire! Good for you! And welcome back!

Margie said...

I missed you! Your story shows that there really are good people in this world.

Patrice said...

Goodness Gracious!! What an adventure you must of had. I am so glad gentleman still exist. Love your knight card too.

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Well, sorry you got off to such a terrible start, but glad you got there safe and sound and had a great time after all. yes, we missed you.

hugs,