Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Recipe Rooster

My upline held our monthly meeting this week and we did another 6x6 Recipe Swap.  I got a yummy recipe from Eileen to use but whoa! - it was way too long to put on a 6x6 page.  So, I gave them one of the few things I can make that is g-r-e-a-t.  It is my mother-in-law's recipe for cocktail sauce.

Last time I showed you recipe cards, I yakked about how your embellishments don't have to "match" your recipe (lemons on lemon pie, etc.)  But y'all know me and my stupid sense of humor.  Can you guess what is coming?



ready?




it is really stupid.....


See, I warned you it was dopey BUT this really is a great recipe - don't let the stupid page fool you.

Here is is for easier reading:
Nelda's Shrimp Cocktail Sauce

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 tsp. salt

8 heaping tsp. horseradish
(the kind in the jar - what I buy says "prepared grated horseradish roots")

4 tsp. Worcestershire

6 to 8 drops Tabasco


Kemper tradition says that Christmas dinner MUST start with shrimp cocktail.  I was so nervous the first year it fell on my shoulders to make the cocktail sauce - but as you see, the recipe is simple.  The trick is getting the right amount of "heat" for the assortment of folks around the table.  We have wimps but also have family members with cast iron mouths - it is a delicate balancing act.

We did our swap shoebox style - which means you bring the parts but the swappers do their own assembly.  Punch art frightens some of these girls but our newbie/potential demo just jumped right in and had the first completed rooster.  Way to go Madeline!

large oval - old olive head
1.25 circle - natural body
two heart to heart - red comb
heart to heart - red wattle
Two Step Bird  (wing) - summer sun beak
(2) Two Step Bird (leaf stem) - summer sun legs
Flower trio - 1 petal cut off - summer sun feet
Small heart - natural eyes
Standard hole punch - black eyes
Wide oval trimmed with scissors - not quite navy breast feathers
Photo corners - old olive tail

To get the breast feathers just do random spikes and cut to the size shown - it should stick out over the circle body in front and stop about half way across the circle body.

To get the tail - cut each of the photo corners in half - stopping before you make the final snip.  So that the photo corners is still intact it just has a cut down the middle (long-wise, and yes you 'turned a corner' when you were cutting)

When you have the cut - you just fold one 'half' over the other.  Makes an odd shape piece. 

Repeat for the other size photo corner and then layer one over the other.  Makes this wonderful mess of cock tail feathers!  

Please Note:
This is not rocket science and it is just paper scraps - snip and fold until you get the look you want - it doesn't have to be exactly like mine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Love your swap...can I persuade you to share the yummy recipe anyway?

Sara

Carolyn Sharkas said...

Too funny! Looks like a lot of work, but I will have to try him anyway. What an awesome idea, and I would love to see the yummy recipe also, unless it has chocolate or some delectable treat I cannot have in it. Then it will just make me sad, lol.

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Being as I am one who was a part of this swap I'm here to say it wasn't all that hard to make the rooster. Hardest part for me was folding the tail...Maybe I'm just dsylexic! LOL

As usual Ellen, this was a great swap, can't wait for next month!

Jenifer

Stamp with Sandy said...

He's cute!

Gail said...

Your sense of humor is the BEST!!! Thanks for all the laughs AND the creative inspiration :)
Hugs, Gail

Carey said...

What a cutey!! You have as silly a sense of humor as my sisters and I do. Are you my long lost sister? I actually looked at the blurb that said "Who's tail" and thought "what??". Then I looked at the name again Cocktail Sauce. Okay, duh Carey!!. This looks like the recipe my mom used and I loved it. It has lots of bite to it but you can still taste the shrimp - delicious!! Girl, you are such a talented person-we love you.

Carey
aka Roscoe's mommy

Lois Folla said...

Hey, Don't call him stupid, you will hurt his feelings! Everything you create is AWESOME - Don't ever forget that!!!!!!

Elaine Wright said...

That is absolutely LOL funny! You crack me up. I collect roosters so I need to make this funny guy to put in my kitchen somewhere.
Thanks for sharing and for all you do to make us laugh. Speaking of lol, check out this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xK9qv611sU
It is an absolute genius, kind of like you!

Ellen Kemper said...

Oh Elaine - that was hysterical - really really OUT LOUD laughing going on here.

Thanks for the genius line - that is a laugh too but a flattering one!