Saturday, February 13, 2010

Record Setting Snowfall in North Texas

Another layout from a Sketchy Thursday sketch.



I am LOVING using sketches for my scrapping - I know I would never have come up with these layouts on my own.   I usually start with photos and wing it OR start with photos and find a sketch that fits - BUT for these challenges I am starting with the sketch and finding a story or photos that work with it.  Having a fresh starting point is a lot of fun. Try it!

We had record setting snow in North Texas Thursday  - that deserves to be recorded, right?  Expect to see more pictures of it before I'm done. 

I'm also trying to expand my scrap "style".  After seeing lots of other ladies layouts (where they combine so many odd yet cool elements) I am TRYING to mix things up a tiny bit more myself.  I would not have combined the baroque motif stamp and this pattern paper normally, but I like it.  And I just grabbed some odd buttons from my stash.  Not real daring - but a baby step.... a baby step...

13 comments:

Stef H said...

your page is lovely. i like the brown. i am so sick of snow. it's like the new 4 letter curse word - lol.

Robbe said...

SNOW IN TEXAS???? Wow I didn't think you folks ever got snow!
I love your page. The baroque motif stamp works very well......looks like gusts of swirling snow. The houndstooth pattern is not my fav but I must admitt I really like it on your page. Awesome job Ellen! :)

WandaG_CT said...

I love this page! You did such a great job.

Anonymous said...

Great layout! Your take on Sketchy Thursday's sketch is amazing.

Gaby said...

Beautiful page.
I'm looking forward to see more.

savvy teaching tips said...

OK I have to laugh. SNOW in Texas??? Here we are in Vancouver, hosting the Winter Olympics, and it's 10 degrees celcius and RAINING and you southern Americans are getting record SNOW??? How very ironic. Thanks for sharing...

CarrieNixon said...

This is my favorite scrapbook page of yours so far! I still haven't tried a sketch yet, even though I have joined the group. I find the site a bit hard to navigate.... :P

Happy Valentine's Day!

Ruby said...

I'm in Northern Virginia and boy
S*N*O*W is a everywhere. The mounds of snow are like mountains. We are not used to or 'experienced' enough to know how to get rid of it. Most winters here the snow melts after a few days so most people don't even bother to shovel it down to pavement. Guess more is coming on Monday and people's attitude around here is that there is very little etiquette when it comes to people knowing where to plow their snow. Haha, anyway didn't mean to divert the attention. Your layout is perfect, I love the flourish effect of the baroque motif stamp it does look like swirling snow. The color combination is great, never though of tan for winter, but it does work.

kathleenh said...

I love this page Ellen! The button for the letter "o", the large white space, and the tone on tone browns.

Janka said...

Hi, I come from Sketchy Thursdays homepage. Your LO is so great. I love the colors and the lovely details.

Tessa Buys said...

This is so pretty! The color-scheme is refreshing after seeing so many blue/white winter layouts (including one you'll see from me soon). I love the houndstooth :).

Tessa, Sketchy Thursdays DT

Carolyn Sharkas said...

I can't believe you have all this snow in TEXAS!!! Send some to Florida please, along with some mojo.

hugs,

Ellen Kemper said...

I can do that - it is one week later and I still have two little piles of snow in a shady spot in my front yard. I'll drop them in the mail today. You can have them.

And I have lots of chopped tree limbs that the trash men didn't pick up today. They picked up 1 of the 4 piles.

????